Often people complain of back pain under the shoulder blades, and the reasons that cause it, can be very diverse. As a rule, the perpetrators of these sensations become diseases of the digestive, cardiovascular and respiratory systems, as well as problems with the spinal column. In addition, such symptoms may be triggered by trauma and mobility of the nervous system.
Among the possible reasons for a special place is occupied by pathologies of the spine. This is due to the fact that the spine is forced to hold the entire weight of the human body, thereby ensuring the upright posture. Frequent pain below the shoulder blades can also be explained by the anatomy of this region. The blade is a articulation of the humerus with the clavicle and attached to it muscles responsible for the mobility of the shoulder girdle. In addition, together with the frame of the ribs it protects the vital organs.
Types of pain
Pain under the shoulder blade can be very different for different patients. It is usually divided into several groups:
- Localization of pain (under the right/the virgin blade, in the middle, at the bottom or the top).
- The nature of pain (sharp, gnawing, aching, burning, throbbing, diffuse, spasmodic, gives).
- Duration (long or short attack abrupt onset, moderate or growing the intensity, frequency of appearance).
Sometimes, back pain (dorsalgia) occurs after a long stay in an uncomfortable posture or awkward movements. Typically, these sensations quickly pass without consequences, so there is no reason to sound the alarm. But if dorsalgia began to worry constantly and however, there were other symptoms, then it is possible that this masks serious disease. To ignore this feeling it is impossible that the time spent has not led to serious consequences.
Along with dorsalgia in the Chuck area of a patient should alert the following symptoms
- fever (temperature above 38 degrees);
- the emergence of the complex of symptoms of "acute abdomen";
- swelling of the hands and fingers;
- disturbance of sensation in upper limbs, sensation of tingling or "chills";
- shortness of breath, cyanosis of the skin;
- dorsalgia persists even at rest;
- the decrease in blood pressure, bradycardia, fainting.
In this case, to delay the visit to the doctor is impossible, as it is necessary to eliminate not only the symptoms but the root causes that led to their manifestations.
Among the complaints patients can often be found left sided pain under the shoulder blade. It can cause the following causes:
- The shoulder bariatric with left-sided localization. This inflammatory response that affects tissue adjacent to humerum joint. The main symptoms of the pathology are pain of a different nature, involving the neck, shoulder and scapula. Pathology often appears in the background of the injuries.
- Thoracalgia (pinching, inflammation of the nervous processes in costarum space). As a rule, it is surrounding the character, but often gives much in the subscapular region on the left side. Usually the symptoms are enhanced when changing body position or with increased physical activity.
- Recurrent pain in this area is characteristic of gastric ulcers. Its intensity usually increases rapidly, thus the patient has nausea and is vomiting. The attack may happen after a meal or on an empty stomach. First impressions are observed in the epigastric region, and then the patient complains of pain under the left-side articulation of the humerus with the clavicle and left side front under the ribs.
- Cartilage damage of the intervertebral discs of the spine in the cervical or thoracic spine. In addition to pain syndrome prominent symptom of this disease is a pronounced dizziness and weakness and numbness of the upper extremities.
- Left-sided subscapular pain can be called autonomic crises. Patients suffering from panic attacks, often complain about nagging, aching pain under the left shoulder blade, accompanied by anxiety, tachycardia, and sudden weakness.
- Impetum angina or myocardial infarction. Pain mostly occur in the chest, but also has a reflection in the subscapular region on the left side. Thus the patient feels numbness of extremities and nausea.
Not in all cases, when patients complain of pain under the shoulder blade, the problem is more the skeletal system. Most often, this symptom indicates neuralgia (affects peripheral nerves) or myalgia (muscular hypertonicity of the cells in a state of tension or peace).
The right side
Pain under the right shoulder blades can occur for the following reasons:
- Colic of the hepatobiliary zone. They occur on the background of obstructed outflow of bile from the body or spasm of the smooth musculature. Sharp, cutting pain is felt in the subscapular region on the right or in the clavicle and encircling the upper quadrant, depending on the reasons for their formation.
- Subdiaphragmatic abscess. This is usually a secondary disease, complicating the course of primary diseases of the abdominal cavity. For this pathology typical hiccups and severe pain that is felt in the subscapular region on the right and increases when you inhale.
- The acute form of the inflammatory process in the kidneys. The pain is dull, aching on the affected side of lower back or at the bottom of the blades. Patients usually this symptom is complemented by fever, nausea and vomiting.
- Myofascial syndrome. This pathological condition involves a reflexive spasm that may occur in various muscles. And painful sensations are felt as at the point of spasm, and in the course of muscle fibers.
- Shingles. The causative agent of this disease is the herpes virus type iii. More common form, which begins with fever, accompanied by severe pains in the field of future eruptions. A dermatological component manifests itself only 4-12 days.
- Right-side pneumonia. If the inflammatory process affects the right lung, the pain can spread to any part of the chest and it can radiate to the back, neck, under the scapula. The pain is usually constant aching, and the sharp movements, deep breathing or coughing increases.
Colic urinary-excretory and hepatobiliary systems are quite often accompanied not only spilled pain in the abdomen and dyspepsia, but also stabbing pain under the right articulation of the humerus with the clavicle, the proximal segment of the right hand and even in the right part of the neck.
Irradiating (give) pain under shoulder blades can be caused by such causes, and pathological States:
- duodenitis and peptic ulcer of the duodenum;
- colic of the hepatobiliary zone;
- necrosis of the heart muscle on the background of thrombosis of one of the arteries of the heart the atherosclerotic plaque;
- cardiovascular disease, which is characterized by the presence of inflammatory processes in the outer membrane of the heart;
- saccular protrusion of the aortic;
- spontaneous stagnation of air in the pleural region of the thorax;
- inflammation of the pancreas in the acute form;
- cramps in the kidneys;
- osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
Dorsalgia in the subscapular region can be very diverse. The dull pain usually appears when the abnormalities in the muscles and connecting parts which connect them with the bones of the skeleton. Aching pain may indicate moderately expressed processes in the spine, the striated and smooth muscles and in internal organs. Such symptoms cannot be ignored, it deserves to undergo comprehensive diagnosis and to choose appropriate therapeutic tactics.
During pregnancy the expectant mother is experiencing considerable stress on the spine, so she may be suffering from dorsalgia, including under the articulation of the humerus with the clavicle. But if the patient before fertilization was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, in the later stages the situation will only worsen.
In addition, the emergence of pain syndrome may provoke the following factors:
- compression or irritation of the intercostal nerves on the background of stress, increased physical exertion or suffering acute respiratory disease;
- indolent pneumonia or pleural sheets;
- with the increase of the level of relaxin' going on excessive relaxation of ligaments;
- muscle tone caused by changing center of gravity while increasing fruit;
- aggravation of pathological processes in the kidneys.
In any case, regardless of whether the patient is pregnant, or someone else, if pain in the subscapular region intense enough is a reason to seek help in medical institution. Rarely, it can be a signal of a critical condition of the body, which absolutely can not be ignored.