The phenomenon of pain in the middle back, is very common and can occur for different reasons. Such pain syndrome is caused by back injuries, diseases of musculoskeletal system and internal organs. It is therefore very important to accurate diagnosis, which depends on the correctness and effectiveness of treatment.
The most likely causes of pain in the middle of the back
Most often pain in the middle of the back arise because of disease of the vertebral joints and spinal muscles. But often it can also indicate very serious diseases, including internal organs, often accompanied by fever. Consider the most common reasons for the appearance of pain in the middle of the back. This:
- Osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine that most often causes pain in the mid back. This disease leads to the development of intervertebral joints degenerative processes that contribute to the destruction of the vertebrae and the appearance of growths. Osteochondrosis is characterized by frequent cramping of the nerve fibers, causing pain varying severity, appear abruptly and suddenly. If there is a slight lesion of a nerve, the pain may be not very pronounced and only occur during the movement.
- Stretching the back muscles as a result of sports or excessive physical activity. This pain syndrome has no sharp expression, but there is a constant and increases with movement.
- Arthritis of the spine. Pain syndrome caused by this disease can sometimes manifest itself so strongly that a person even have the ability to fully straighten the chest, and his body is mostly in a slightly bent position.
- Myositis – an inflammatory process in skeletal muscle. Pain syndrome in this case, often has unilateral character, that is, or appears to the right or to the left. The pain in this disease is not acute, arising from the movement of the body and pressing on the affected area.
- The displacement or damage of the intervertebral disc. This disease can be either acquired or congenital. It leads to a pinched nerve in the body movement, causing pain.
- Scoliosis, which causes the development of unnatural curves of the spine, which also leads to pinched nerves and cause pain. Most often pain with scoliosis is manifested most of all after a night's sleep.
- Diseases of the internal organs. Is heart disease, in which pain gives, as a rule, in the left back area. For heart disease syndrome pain may radiate to the shoulder or upper limb. If these symptoms are associated with pain directly in the heart area, it may indicate a myocardial infarction.
- Sick kidneys cause pain and temperature.Kidney disease, which can also cause pain in the middle of the back, often accompanied by high temperature. This suggests that there is an inflammatory process in the kidneys. If there is a severe renal dysfunction, the temperature greatly increased and there is also swelling of the body.In addition, in the middle of the back may ache because of problems with the gall bladder and the gastrointestinal tract. For example, gastric ulcer, the pain radiates to the middle of the back, focusing on the left side or middle part. But when gallstones pain syndrome concentrated in the upper right part of the abdomen and may then subside, then increase. While sometimes there is nausea and vomiting.
- Incorrect posture that occurs due to weakness of muscles or improper organization of the workplace. Initially incorrect posture manifests as recurrent pain, and progression of the pathology of the pain becomes regular and stronger.
- Injuries to the spinal column.
Pain in mid-back is required to be examined from several specialists. This is a cardiologist, a surgeon and a gastroenterologist.
On the basis of patient's complaints, visual examination, of anamnesis, the doctor prescribes further tests.
Among instrumental diagnostic methods most often ultrasound examination, x-rays of the spine, electrocardiogram, gastroscopy.
If back pain, in particular, in its Central part, caused by fatigue or muscle strain due to heavy lifting, physical exertion or sports, help massage. Even gentle massage will help to relax muscles and relieve pain spasm.
In addition, when muscle pain helps taking a hot bath or shower. Also has a good effect of contrast shower. You can use special creams that help to relieve muscle spasm.
In order to strengthen the muscles and ligaments in the future, making them more resilient to physical and sports activities, it is necessary to do morning exercises.
If the pain in the middle of the back not associated with injury, physical or sports, then you need to compulsorily seek medical advice. Because this may indicate a more serious back disorders, and diseases of internal organs.
The earlier diagnosis is made and treated, the better will be the result.
Treatment of pain in mid-back depends on how the disease became the reason for their appearance.