The coccyx is called the lower spine formed by the underdeveloped 4-5 fused vertebrae. Once these vertebrae supports the tail in human ancestors, and now the tailbone is vestigial, useless organ. However, this vestige of injuries and various diseases may cause a person serious pain and discomfort: you can not properly sit and walk, even sleep is hard to find a comfortable position.
Often the patient even for himself cannot determine the precise localization of pain and complains to the doctor for pain in the tailbone (this pain is called anorectal). The pain coccyx is actually called coccyalgia.
Experts must decide whether the pain of illnesses and injuries to the coccyx itself, or pain coming from other organs (intestines, pelvis, urinary organs) and simply "give" in the tailbone. From the solution of this question depends on the treatment.
Causes of pain in the coccyx
- The consequences of the injury.
- Diseases of the spine affecting the tailbone (low back pain, displacement of the intervertebral discs, a pinched nerve endings, etc.).
- Diseases of the muscles and nerves of the pelvic floor.
- Pathologic processes in the pelvis.
- Disease direct or sigmoid colon (hemorrhoids, sigmoid, proctitis, rectal fissure).
- The omission of the perineum (for example, due to a difficult birth).
- Trauma of the perineum during childbirth (bleeding in the subcutaneous tissue surrounding the coccyx).
- Excessive extension of the coccyx for difficult births.
- Cicatricial deformities of the anus, arising as a complication of surgery.
- Disorders of the intestines, resulting in frequent constipation or diarrhea, and, consequently, to the habit of sitting for long periods in the toilet.
- Diseases of the genitourinary system (cystitis, adnexitis, etc.).
- A cyst of the coccyx.
- The habit of constantly sitting on upholstered furniture.
- Emotional turmoil and stress.
- Tight clothing (jeans), putting pressure on the coccyx.
- Idiopathic pain (pain of unknown origin). Such pain can suddenly appear and suddenly disappear. Approximately 1/3 of all the pain in the coccyx refers to idiopathic.
Characteristics of pain in the coccyx in different diseases
Pain after injury
Trauma often causes severe, sharp, acute pain in the coccyx. Injury of coccyx (broken, fracture, contusion, dislocation, displacement) may occur when a bad fall or blow to the buttocks. Pain after injury can be in the nature of attacks, or be constant. When walking and in a sitting position it increases. Localization of various post-traumatic pain in the coccyx, or near it (above, below, side).
Usually pain in the coccyx occur immediately after the injury. But in some cases it can be slightly expressed and quickly passing, and a few years later, when the patient forgot about the injury, suddenly appear a strong, burning pain.
Pain in the coccyx, combined with pain in the lower back, sacrum
In osteochondrosis, the cyst of the spine in the lumbar or sacral division is characterized by a combination of pain in the coccyx, with pain in the lower back, sacrum. However, the main complaints of the patient with pain in the back, and along the way – that the pain "gives" in the tailbone.
The same clinical picture observed in the pinching the nerve endings in the lumbar and sacral parts of the spine. Compression of the sciatic nerve (sciatica) is accompanied by burning, sharp pain in the tailbone or above it.
Lumbar and sacral pains accompanied by pain in the coccyx also hemorrhoids, diseases of the rectum.
Pain in the coccyx when you stand up
Such pains are characteristic for injuries of the coccyx. Most often they are associated with postoperative scars in the perineum, or adhesions in the pelvic cavity, formed after the operation.
Pain in the coccyx when tilted
Pain when bending are usually the result of chronic inflammatory processes in the organs located near the coccyx (in the intestine or the bladder, the uterus and its appendages).
Pain in the coccyx when tilting occur when the patient has the following diseases:
- endometritis, etc.
Pain radiating to coccyx
As already mentioned, pain radiating to tailbone, which is characteristic for degenerative disc disease, spinal cysts, and hemorrhoids, inflammation of the hip joints, diseases of the rectum, etc. Such pain may also be caused by postoperative scarring.
Pain in the coccyx when sitting
The reason for such pain is the habit of constantly sitting on upholstered furniture. The tailbone is in the wrong position. In the vessels that supply it with blood, have stagnation. This leads to deposition of salts in the vertebrae that constitute the coccyx, and the occurrence of pain.
Pain in the coccyx when sitting complaining athletes – cyclists and people engaged in horse riding. They have a different cause of pain: coccyx microtrauma that occurs when engaging in these specific activities.
Pain in the coccyx when sitting is possible in women after childbirth, when there was a deformation (excessive flattening his intervertebral joints).
Finally, pain in the coccyx, aggravated when sitting, typical dermoid cyst of the coccyx. Dermoid cyst is a congenital malformation, consisting in the formation inside the coccyx of cavity, filled by the tissue growing hair.
Aching and drawing pain in the coccyx
Aching pain in the coccyx can occur if inflammation of the internal genital organs (prostatitis or BPH in men with inflammation of the ovaries and fallopian tubes in women).
Gnawing pain in the coccyx is an additional symptom of degenerative disc disease of the lumbar or sacral spine. Sometimes it occurs when hemorrhoids and also the long sitting on the toilet due to frequent constipation.
Pain in the coccyx
Pain of this kind occur when prolapse of the perineum, with presence of scars in the anus, diseases of the rectum. Characterized by pain beneath the coccyx and injuries (fractures, contusions, subluxation' of the tailbone) that happened a few years ago.
Pain above the tailbone
Pain localized to above the coccyx, characteristic of neuralgias' (inflammation of the nerves emanating from the lumbar or sacral spine).
Pain in the coccyx during menses
Such pain can accompany many gynecological and neurological diseases. It may be reasonable to begin the examination with the advice of a gynecologist and only exclude gynecological diseases, to consult a neurologist.
Pain in the tailbone during pregnancy and after childbirth
Pregnant women quite often have pain in the coccyx. Pain in the tailbone during pregnancy can have various causes:
- Trauma to the tailbone that took place a few years ago and which is not recovered.
- The lack of calcium in the skeletal system.
- Inflammatory diseases of internal genital organs.
- Physiological changes in the body: when preparing for labor and delivery, the pelvic organs change their normal position. The fetus grows, the uterus increases, shifting the bodies nearby. Tailbone while reclines. And since the coccyx vertebrae are fused to each other, such deviation is very painful.
Pain in the coccyx after birth, say the experienced gynecologist what happened birth trauma: difficult birth caused bleeding in the soft tissue surrounding the coccyx, or what happened to his excessive straightening (which is possible when large amounts of fruit).
Pain in the coccyx in men
In men, pain in the coccyx can be caused by so-called "pellentesque disease." This disease occurs with frequent riding unsprung transport (crawler tractors, army tanks, armored personnel carriers). The load on the coccyx when riding on such equipment is excessive. It can cause inflammation of pilonidal sinus or cyst of coccyx. This move, or cyst, is a hollow tube that runs beneath the skin from the end of the coccyx and ending blindly.
Inflammation of the pilonidal sinus and is called "pellentesque disease." If the inflammation passes into the purulent stage, often forms a fistula – pus breaks out. Treatment - only surgical.
How to treat pain in the coccyx
A preliminary survey
For effective treatment of pain in the coccyx, it is important to establish its cause. Patients with such pain should appeal primarily to the proctologist. This specialist when necessary refer the patient (the patient) to a gynaecologist, neurologist, surgeon, osteopath. Sometimes require the assistance of a therapist.
Each of these physicians not only examines the patient but also very detailed questioning him. The patient should be ready to talk in detail about the nature of pain, its localization, recall of previously obtained injuries and they surgery.
In some patients with pain in the coccyx, the exact diagnosis cannot be established. Then apply symptomatic treatment, and in most cases, it leads to good results. Sometimes pain in the coccyx go away on their own, without treatment. But hope is not necessary - if you experience such pain you must see your doctor.
The main aspects of treatment
In most cases, pain in the coccyx is treated conservatively (i.e. without surgery). Comprehensive treatment involves providing patients with rest, pain medication, restore the impaired circulation through massage, chiropractic, physical therapy, exercise physical therapy.
All of the identified comorbidities subject to compulsory treatment.
To remove or weaken negative emotions are applied (after counseling) neuropsychotropic drugs.
No help can be given by doctors only when pain in the coccyx in pregnancy. Anti-inflammatory and pain medicine is contraindicated for pregnant women. Radiological diagnosis is also excluded. Therefore, women have to endure the pain in the coccyx, enclosing under it a soft pillow or inflatable rubber circle in the shape of a donut (sold in pharmacies).
To sit on this circle, it is recommended not only to pregnant women but for all patients with pain of such localization. This simple device eliminates the burden and pressure on the coccyx while sitting, thus reducing pain.
Chiropractic, massage, acupuncture
Pain in the coccyx greatly facilitated by using finger massage of the muscles of the rectum and massage the muscles of the pelvic floor (if there is spasm).
The manual therapy techniques performed by experienced specialist, improve blood circulation in the coccyx, eliminate blood stasis, relieve muscle spasm and help restore the range of motion of the coccyx.
Acupuncture (acupuncture) is often used for pain in the coccyx, substantially reducing their intensity. The right choice of biologically active points of acupuncture can completely remove the pain.
Of the methods of physiotherapy for pain in the coccyx apply:
- ultrasound treatment;
- laser therapy;
- electrotherapy (electrode inserted into the rectum);
- diadynamic currents;
- of an application with paraffin;
- therapeutic mud;
- the ozokerite.
To exercise, perform morning exercises to the person with pain in the coccyx is not only possible, but necessary. With certain limitations: the exercise should be running, jumping, brisk walking, sudden inprobus movement, straining.
Exercises for pain in the coccyx should include the following exercises:
- Lying on your back on the floor, bend your knees and raise them to the side. Put the palms on the inner side of the knee. Try to join knees, hands at the same time opposing this movement.The number of repetitions is 8-12 times with short intervals (10-15 seconds).
- In the same position clamped between the bent knees, soccer ball, volleyball or another of the same size). The palm put on the abdomen. With the force of gripping the knees of the ball for 5-7 seconds, palms at the same time preventing the protrusion of the abdomen.The number of repetitions 6-8 times with the same intervals for rest, as in the first exercise.
- Lying on back, hold ball between feet straightened legs. With the force of gripping the ball stops for 5-7 seconds. The number of repetitions 6-8 times; the intervals is 10-15 seconds.
- Lying on your back, raise the hand bent at the knees and lift the hips for 3-5 seconds. The gluteal muscles need to strain. The number of repetitions 6-8 times; the intervals is 10-15 seconds.
All the exercises for pain in the coccyx, the patient needs to run slowly, steadily, rhythmically, resting between repetitions of the exercise. You can turn on relaxing music. For greater efficiency it is recommended to do a set of exercises twice a day.
For pain in the coccyx traditional medicine uses the following tools:
- The impact of magnet: ring magnet moving in the coccyx in a circle, clockwise for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a day.
- Compress with tincture of Valerian: a piece of cotton fabric to moisten the pharmacy tincture of Valerian, to put on the sore spot. Cover it with a piece of plastic, then any warm layer (wool, scarf, etc). To fix the compress with adhesive tape and leave overnight.
- Fir oil rubbed into the coccyx 3 times a day. Helps to relieve inflammation and reduces pain.
- Lubrication iodine: in the evening, before bed, pre-heated the coccyx be lubricated with tincture of iodine and warm wrap. Repeat no more often than 2-3 times a week. Duration of treatment – 1.5-2 months.
- Compresses made of blue clay: add to 500 gr. clay a teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar, mix well. Before bed apply a layer of this mixture on the affected area, cover with polythene, to warm (like any pack) and leave for the night.
- Rubbing of radish juice: mix 300 ml of fresh radish juice, 100 ml of ethanol and 200 ml of honey. To RUB into the affected area 3 times a day. Store the mixture in the refrigerator in a glass jar with the lid tightly closed.
- Ointment with mummy (broken tailbone): 1/2 oz. Shilajit is mixed with such a quantity of rose oil to make an ointment of the consistency of thick cream. Rubbed into the coccyx 2 times a day.